Meeting the love of your life is often a long and emotional search. No matter if you’re 20, 25, 30 or older, you may be wondering if you’ll ever find him. Dating can just be plain tiring as you often meet the wrong kind of guys.
While it’s a fact that true love is hard to find, the real truth is that it’s possible. Love stories happen every day, and the reality is that you could be next. Below are some tips to help you on your journey to love:
1. Know yourself – Your values, dreams, and goals are the core of your being. Once you know what things are important, you can wisely choose someone who will complement you. Can you imagine the potential conflicts if you’re interested in pursuing a career, but he wants a stay-at-home wife. Things will not end well.
2. Identify your deal breakers – Do you want kids? How about getting married? Where will you live? You should have firmed up the answers to such questions before ever entering a relationship. I know of several couples where one partner wants to get married, and the other doesn’t. It has led to devastating breakups because someone wasn’t truly honest about their expectations initially. Knowing what you want from a man will indeed reduce your dating pool, but it will prevent a lot of heartbreak down the line.
3. Develop friendships – While this may lead to your soulmate, it’s important to have guy friends, no strings attached. Often our perspectives about men come from other women, which is not always accurate because it’s based on their own experiences (let’s be honest that it’s more negative than positive). Having a male voice will give you a balance of opinions. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to make some lifelong friends.
4. Work on yourself – Are there areas of your life that need improvement? Now is the time to fix it. It’s unfair to want a rich man, but you’re in debt. Take some time to clean up whatever baggage might hinder your relationship from the start.
5. Be the right person – They say you will attract what you are. If you’re untidy, lazy, with no ambition, that is what you will get in return. You can’t expect a 10 when you’re a 3. The same effort we want from a man should also be true for us. Be the kind of person you want.
6. Wait – I know this may sound counterproductive, but I’ve witnessed the disaster that happens when people choose the first person that comes along. Many are divorced today. Even in the face of pressure, wait for the one you cannot live without. They should be an addition rather than subtraction to your life. Don’t allow society and people to make you settle for anything other than the best.
Finally, there is no magic formula for finding the right one. But if we make use of our single days, when and if the right one shows up, we will be ready.
“If you are the kind of person who is waiting for the ‘right’ thing to happen, you might wait for a long time. It’s like waiting for all the traffic lights to be green for five miles before starting the trip.” (Robert Kiyosaki)